Saturday, March 8, 2008

Ivy's Adoption Story Part 11

Ivy....2 years old

It was Christmas Eve, a little before 6am. I heard the phone ring. I jumped up to get it so that it wouldn't wake up Matt . (He was mad because he thought it was my dad calling...my dad used to always forget about the time change and call too early on Saturday mornings.) It was S. on the phone. She said that K.'s water broke and they were heading for the hospital. We jumped out of bed. S. called back to remind us to be respectful and not come in all excited because it was going to be hard for K. It is funny because Matt and I thought that was silly. Of course we were going to be respectful! We had grown to love K. - As much as we were excited for Ivy to come, my heart ached for what K. was about to go through.


We took a quick shower to wake up and we were on the road. (Remember, we had a 5 hour drive.) I called Germany again and told Wendy to call me in the car. I remember I was so upset. Hollie(my sister) was in the mountains celebrating Christmas and she wasn't getting cell phone reception. I needed her to know that her niece was being born. When she finally checked her phone, she had so many messages from me. She called in a panic and I started to cry. I was so glad that I got ahold of her. (She wasn't expecting Ivy to come. Ivy wasn't due until January 8th.)


We had been in the car for a half an hour when S. called. She said that K. was getting ready to push. I said,"No, I am not there!!!! She can't be pushing!" (I had prayed about being in the delivery room. K. was going to let me...I think. But God knew what was best and I think that K. needed that time alone.) S. called soon after and said,"Give Kelli the phone, the baby is crying." I took the phone and was stunned. I didn't cry yet. It is funny because I was more concerned with how K. was doing. Not that I was scared that she was going to keep the baby but I was thinking of her pain and soon to be loss. It wasn't until I got off the phone. Matt and I listened to the Steven Curtis Chapman song, "Moment Made for Worshiping". Then the tears flew. We were so thankful to God and His goodness!


What was going on at the hospital was a different story..... Before K. had the baby, she was in labor with her mom, sister and S. there. Her family told her that if she kept the baby, they would help raise her. She also had a relative come and tell her that she would help raise the baby and give K. a place to stay. (We didn't know any of this at the time.) K. said the same thing to all of them. She said," I am giving Matt and Kelli this baby. I wish I had a family like theirs growing up." God is so good.

We were getting a little nervous pulling up to the hospital. I knew that we had a lot of people praying for us but since she was so far away and it was Christmas Eve, we had to do everything alone. People had told me horror stories of how nurses and Dr.'s weren't the kindest to the adoptive parents. We were walking into the unknown and about to find out how people were going to treat us.

0 comments: