Thursday, March 6, 2008

Ivy's Adoption Story Part 9

Daddy and Ivy




Surprisingly, Matt and I slept really well the night before. We were excited but not too nervous. It is funny how confident we were. We thought that we would be great parents and who wouldn't like us? That seems so funny now.

We met K. outside of our hotel. She wore jeans and a grey sweatshirt. She had dyed her hair dark, it almost had a purplish tint. She didn't wear any makeup and at first, she was really quiet. I noticed that she had pretty facial features.

When we got to the restaurant, she got a little excited when I gave her a basket of presents. (Thank you Tracy for the idea!) I bought her pajamas for the hospital, socks and an overnight case. Her mom asked us alot of questions about what church we went to ( I think she is a Believer) and alot about us. She asked us what we were going to call the baby. I said, "Ivy Elisabeth". K. asked if we would consider using Emma as a second middle name. Without even thinking I said," I think we can maybe do that." Matt about fell off his chair! I quickly added, "Yeah ,we have to discuss it first." (We later told her that her name would be Ivy Emma Elisabeth Elliott. That meant alot to her.) S. said that K. lit up when we were around and that made us feel good.


We went to K.'s Dr. appointment and saw Ivy for the first time. The Dr. said that she looked good but on the big side. K. had told me that she never looked at the monitor during an ultrasound because she didn't want to get too attached to the baby. When we were all in there, she was looking at the screen smiling. She said that it was because she was so happy for Matt and I. We went with her to take a diabetes test because she was getting really big and not eating healthy. (She had it.) That allowed us more time with her....and I wanted to make sure that she took the test.

We left K. that day and told her that we would call her. At this point, we all decided that Ivy would be ours.

To Ivy: I was a little nervous that K. would not take good care of her body. She was depressed and tired, and not feeling well because of the diabetes. There were so many times when I fought the urge to be anxious. I just wanted you to come out so I could take you home! It was yet another example of my need to trust Jesus. I would often pray for Him to take care of you because I wasn't there. You weren't in my hands but you were in His hands and I was praying hard that He would just hold you tight!

2 comments:

Swimwife said...

Kelly I love this story!! Thank you for sharing it! I love re-living it with you! I am so thankful for you and for Ivy

CareBearStare said...

Kelly!!!! Oh how fun that I found you :) I love digging through the blogs of Master's College people and coming across someone I haven't talked to in ages! Well I haven't had a chance yet to read Ivy's whole story but I read a couple of posts and I am sucked in...can't wait to read the rest. It is so fun to see pictures of you guys and your beautiful little girl...hope everything is going great and I would love to hear from you!