Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ivy's Adoption Story Part 8

Ivy playing in the sheets............



Before we talked to K. on the phone, S. called to talk to us. She told us that K. was very depressed and she proubly wouldn't be doing a lot of talking. Matt and I weren't too worried about it. We were going to have a 3 way call with S.,K. and Matt and I.

As we all started talking, I jumped right in telling her about us, what we did for a living , about church, friends, family and wanting a baby.

She told us about herself. I remember that she talked without any emotion in her voice. She was very "matter of fact", "tell it like it is. " Even though she was very blunt, I liked the fact that she was so honest. We both asked each other bold questions and weren't afraid to answer them. She answered everything that I asked. She said that she had a hard life and that when she found out she was pregnant she always knew that she wanted to give the baby a better home. She had named the baby Emma.

She was having an ultrasound in 2 days and invited us up to go to the appointment. We decided to meet for breakfast before the appointment. S. was going to come, K.,her mom and her son .

(S. called us after we all talked and said that K. really liked us and that she never expected K. to talk to us as much as she did.)

Matt and I started to get really excited. I asked S...."does K. look at us like the adoptive parents or are we just going up there so that she can check us out".....she paused (thinking we weren't sure about wanting the baby) she said that K. was looking at us like the adoptive parents...I said good we are too.


I was so excited to talk to Wendy! I was laying in bed and thinking. At 2am, I went downstairs and called Germany.( We don't even have a long distance plan on our phone! ) I thought Matt would kill me so when Mike answered, I was whispering....."Mike have Wendy call me." It made him whisper...."Ok, I will do it." That always makes me laugh when I think about it. I told Wendy and she was screaming, so excited. She hated being so far away.


We drove 5 hours the night before and stayed in a Holiday Inn. We wondered if we were actually meeting OUR birthmom the next day. What would she look like? We were so curious and we would just have one more night's sleep until we found out!

3 comments:

Wendy Penberthy said...

Mike and I will never forget that phone call.. it was 11 a.m German time.... NO ONE calls us unless it's an emergency because of the 2 a.m time in California. When the phone rang we were SO scared... but it was such exciting news!!! I DID scream!!

Colleen said...

Hi Kelli- I found your blog through Wendy's. I just went back and read your adoption story from the beginning. I am completely fascinated and blessed by this story. Its so nice to see God's work in your life. I'm glad I found you!

Love Colleen Winans

Kelli I. said...

Kel~
I am getting a beautiful glimpse of my "closed" adoption through your stories of Ivy's adoption. What a sacrifice every birthmom goes through. I also love my birthmother for the great gift she gave me - the chance of life. Thank you for sharing these intimate details of Ivy's adoption...I am blessed.

Kelli