Sunday, March 2, 2008

Ivy's Adoption Story Part 7



Tracy and Ivy


As Matt and I were starting this process and getting ready to talk to K., Wendy kept telling me that I needed to talk to her friend Tracy. Tracy and her husband had adopted 4 out of their 5 kids. She knew alot about birthmoms and adopting. I kept telling Wendy that I would call her when I felt I needed to....well as the phone call with K. was fast approaching. I felt that I needed to.


This is why I love Tracy. Right as we started talking, I was telling her what I wanted done at the hospital , how I wanted the baby handled, what I wanted K. to do and she stopped me dead in my tracks! She said "Kelli , you are not going to do any of that. You are going to let K. do whatever she needs to do to say goodbye and let go of that baby. You want K. to leave that hospital with no regrets with how she said goodbye." God used that phone call to convict my heart. ( I don't know if Tracy even remembers us talking about that but I do.) I was so busy thinking about Matt and I getting a baby that I wasn't even thinking about what K. was going to go through. She wasn't just my "baby maker", she was a young woman getting ready to go through maybe the hardest thing she would ever have to go through. That night, even without meeting her yet, I started to pray for her and I started to love her even then. Maybe she wouldn't be my birthmom but she would be someone's and I knew that she needed my prayers.


To Ivy: It's hard to explain how much I love your birthmom. As you will see later, things with K. weren't always the smoothest, and sometimes people ask me why I even still talked to her, let alone love her....but I am telling you with tears in my eyes that I love her like my own family because she gave me you. She didn't have to but in the end she did the right thing. God knew that you would always be ours and K. was part of His plan. I think of her, pray for her, and love her for giving us something that we could have never had without her help. Her pain was our reward and I'm forever grateful. God is good!


The next day was our talk with K...............


3 comments:

Happy Hollie said...

Pass the tissues please.
PS Kel, i loved our time together yesterday.

Wendy Penberthy said...

seriously....

Unknown said...

Kelli! I just got back from vacation and read all of this - it brings so much back! Of course I remember meeting you on the phone and talking with you. You were so excited - you talked a lot about what was going on and asked a lot of questions about the hospital and what it would be like. I think we talked for hours! Thanks so much for letting us be a part in all this. xoxoxo