Friday, February 29, 2008

Ivy's Adoption Story Part 6

Ivy and Aunt Hollie

By this time it was November and we were waiting, praying and getting ready for Thanksgiving. Our intention was always to redo the baby's room in our house. (It was a skateboard room from the people we bought our house from.) Matt spent a Saturday tearing up the stained carpet. We figured that we had time to put a new floor in and paint.


I remember it like it was yesterday. Matt was watching TV and I was sweeping the floor. The phone rang and the caller ID said it was the sister of the teacher at my school. ( I will call her S.) S. introduced herself and told us of her friend who was having a baby. She said that it was a baby girl due in January. She said the birthmother was sure she was giving the baby up. I think she was 26yrs. old and already had a young son. She had done some things where she hadn't good care of the baby, but she had gone to all of her Dr. appointments and the baby looked healthy. I said OK, that Matt and I would talk about it and then I hung up. The funny thing is that I didn't ask her hardly any questions....I was in such shock! I had to call her back to ask more questions and she was laughing. She said," I knew you would call me back because you didn't seem to ask me anything about her."


The girl's name was K. She had actually picked a different birthfamily and ( I think) was with them for a couple of months. They decided at the last minute to keep trying infertility treatments and they backed out. (It seems odd to me that they would pursue adoption without being sure but I know the Lord used them to guide K. in many ways.) I was concerned about some of the things that she had done in her past and I wanted to get some other opinions.We decided that in a couple of days we were going to talk to K. on the phone and get to know her.(She lived 5 hours away.) However.... even before that, God would bring someone into my life to help change my view of my child's adoption and show me how to truly love my birthmom.....Enter Tracy Dodson into my life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Elliott Family!

This is Alicia Theule (from LDI and Grace Church)

A friend put a link to the Kostjuk family, asking us to pray for little Reese... and through their blog, I found yours!

I've so enjoyed reading about Ivy's adoption, please tell Matt I say Hi!!

--Alicia Theule

Laura said...

I am loving this Kelly! There's so much to your story that I didn't know about, and you know there's a huge spot in my heart for adoption. Keep it coming!