Friday, February 22, 2008

A Letter from Elisabeth Elliot

When I got the mail today, I was in for a big surprise! THE Elisabeth Elliot ( the missionary who was Martyr Jim Elliot's wife) wrote Ivy the most beautiful letter. Let me back up.... Ivy's full name is Ivy Emma Elisabeth Elliott. The middle name Emma is from her birthmom and Elisabeth is named after this Elisabeth Elliot (it helps our last name is Elliott) . I have always admired what a godly woman she is and how she has lived her whole life for the Lord. What a great example for our daughter! I have always wanted to write her a letter and let her know that Ivy was named after her and this year I finally did it and she wrote back. She also sent her a croqueted bookmark. Her husband wrote me a short note apologizing for Elisabeth's handwriting being shaky. She typed the letter but signed her name. When I looked her up online it said that she doesn't send things to people because she is old and can't do that for everyone but I asked anyway. I asked for her to give Ivy her favorite bible verses. This was her letter to Ivy:

Dear Ivy Emma Elisabeth,

Today is 18th of January 18, 2008, and you are a bit over two years old so you have years to go before you reach my age, but when you do you will find your obedience to your parents and to God will have brought you joy and peace. Fill your mind with Scripture and the old hymns. They will keep you through the long, dark nights. May I suggest also that it's good to read the old books, especially the missionary biographies.

As you grow, strive to be feminine in how you dress and represent yourself. Remember to keep the boys "at arms length", a maxim that I learned from my mother early in life.

In thinking of being a success in life you might keep in mind the words of Ugo Bassi, who wrote, "Measure thy life by loss and not by gain. Not by the wine drunk but by the wine poured forth. For love's strength standeth in love's sacrifice; and who so suffereth most hath most to give."

A couple of my favorite Bible Verses are Isaiah 50:7 "For the Lord God will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded, therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed." Also, Isaiah 58:10-11 "If you feed the hungry from your own plentyand satisfy the needs of the wretched, then your light will rise like the dawn out of darkness and your dusk be like noonday. The Lord will be your guide continually and will satisfy your needs in the shimmering heat; He will give you strength of limb; you will be like a watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail."

May the peace of the Lord be with you, dear Ivy

Lovingly, Elisabeth Elliot Gren

6 comments:

Wendy Penberthy said...

Kelli... That is so amazing, and I cannot wait for the day that Ivy can truelly read and appreciate those words. That is amazing that she wrote you back!!

Laura said...

What a treasure for you and for Ivy!!! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

That's amazing! What a great keepsake! (Let me recommend that you have it scanned though so it stays nice forever...) Love ya!

Happy Hollie said...

That is Awesome. What a special charge from a Godl woman who is to be admired.

Abouttime said...

Isn't God gracious?! When I was in college I had an opportunity to take a class from Dr. Henry Morris. In those days few believers were holding to the Creation account as recorded in Genesis. We all were encouraged and challenged by him. Just before he was promoted into the presence of the Lord I saw him at the Shepherd's Conference. Working his way out of the building after the meeting he walked up the aisle I was in. He was very frail and his son was running interference for him. I could not pass up the opportunity however and stuck out my hand and started talking. I reviewed the above to him and gushed! I thanked him for his profound influence in my life. He graciously thanked me for my encouragement. All three of us had our eyes glistening. Just a few moments in time and then he was gone... but wow! I thank the Lord for that encounter and encouraging me to seize the moment.
Rejoicing with you all in this wonderful treasure. Love, Tim

Kelli I. said...

Wow! What a blessing and treasure to have these words, penned by such a godly woman, written for your daughter! I will share Elisabeth's words with Karli because they are full of such wisdom and will help shape her into a woman of God. Isn't that what we desire for our little girls? Thank you for sharing your treasure with everyone. I was blessed by it.

Love You,
Kelli I.