Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ivy's Adoption Story Part 3

Ivy (one week old) with her dad


Matt and I went in to do our 2nd artificial insemination with the Dr. He said that it went perfect. He said that he would be really surprised if it didn't take. Matt and I were hopeful. We had decided that this would be our final step and that if this didn't work, we were going to leave infertility behind and look toward adoption. We had spent so much time and money!


One way that God was so good is that Matt and I agreed on EVERYTHING. When to start infertility treatments, when to stop it, when to adopt.....we hear that is not the norm in most marriages, even Christian marriages and we we grateful that the Lord was working on our hearts at the same time.


During that month of waiting to see if the insemination worked, one night, Matt and I were watching TV. I don't know how to explain this except to tell it like it happened. ( I don't feel like God does anything dramatic to speak to me). While Matt and I were sitting in the living room, I had an incredible "feeling" that this insemination was not going to work(even though the Dr. said everything went fine), I really felt like we were done and my heart opened wide to adoption that night. Not just as an alternative for having a baby but a desire to do it. I started crying really hard and I was afraid to tell Matt what I was feeling. ( I think he already thought I was nuts from all the infertility drugs I was taking). I told him how I felt and he said that he already knew because he felt the same way.


When I didn't get pregnant, I still had a good cry (it was leaving my dream of naturally having a baby behind) but I was looking toward the future. God was so good in that our insemination had went perfectly so I had no "what if's" about the situation. God just didn't want us getting pregnant and that was a good enough answer for me. I didn't need a big medical reason. By the way, let me offer some advice. Please don't tell a woman that because she is done trying to have a baby, that now she'll get pregnant. I know people mean well but that does not help. In order for me to look at adoption, I had to let go of my dream and when people say things like that it makes it hard and ...they don't know God's plan for our lives. People only said it because they loved me and were trying to be positive. I have a list of "not so smart things" that people said to me.(OK...just a minute while I climb off my soap box....Ok.)
Now....what do we do about adopting........

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi! I'm a friend of Kelli Iverson, and I just wanted to say, "I hear you on so many levels." Our adoption story is different, yet the same in some ways as well.

We adopted our daughter from South Korea, as my husband is also an adoptee from there as well. Our daughter has been home for 10 months now, she was 5 months old when she came home.

I have on several occassions been told now that she is home I'll get pregnant. I think people think they are being 'nice or encouraging' when saying this, but to me it feels like they are not seeing the glorious gift that the Lord has already bestowed unto us. That getting pregnant would be a greater miracle than adoption. SO NOT TRUE.

As a mother to both a biological and adopted child, the love is the same, the experience of holding your child for the first time is NO different. One child grew under my heart, while the other grew inside of my heart. I wish people could understand, and know we are content with the way the Lord has built our family.

(((((SO BIG HUGS TO YOU!)))))) I feel your sadness when comments such as these are made. You need to remind them that God is working in your family lives, and your sweet Ivy is evidence of His work.

I enjoy reading your blog, and will continue to check in to read the rest of your adoption journey.

Blessings,

Nancy

Happy Hollie said...

i love it Kel! This will be so special for Ivy to read how the Lord brought her into our family. She was chosen and what a special gift for her...and US!
It's great to look back and remember those times with you and anticipating the next blog on how the Lord prepared you and Matt for Ivy.....keep writing sis!

Unknown said...

Kelli- I laughed at your comments about getting pregnant. I think I wrote it in Jessy's story but the post was so long I think I took it out...I'm glad you said it! People said the same thing to me - and when I got pregnant with nathaniel - you should have heard all the comments - that I finally relaxed - blah blah blah!!! Things like "I knew you would get pregnant once you adopted!" At this point I had 2 adoptions so they were off by one child. Crazy!!! I know people meant well - I would just look at them and smile...as if I had something to do with Robert and I not getting pregnant - and they did it right!

It is because GOD HAS A PLAN - and Ivy Elliot was HIS plan for your sweet family.

Can you imagine our lives any different?? I love God's plan for our lives! We feel sorry for those who haven't adopted. It's the most beautiful picture of our salvation - we are adopted as sons of God the Father. Amazing.

I love hearing this and am so glad you are writing it.

and...P.S. you are sooo funny!