Sunday, August 10, 2008

Baby Girl Elliott

Daddy and his girls
Wow! What a whirlwind couple of days we have had! Thursday was my first day back to work and during my lunch break, I got a call about a 3 month old caucasian baby girl. Matt and I decided to take her. I left work, got Ivy, went to Target (to get formula, etc.) and went to clean my house before she got there. She got to the house around 6pm. and imagine my surprise when I opened the door to find a beautiful milk chocolate brown girl ( Half Russian (white) half African American). I wish someone would have video'd my face when I saw her. It makes me laugh now. Then I got her and when I went around the corner and showed Matt and Ivy...Matt did the same thing I did. His eyes popped out of his face!
She is so beautiful! When she got to the house, we didn't know anything about her schedule, when she sleeps, eats, etc. I started out a little schedule for her and she has been perfect. She sleeps through the night and eats all of her bottles. She is a very content little baby.
Her grandparents have been taking care of her and they have done a great job. I talked to her Grandma a couple of nights ago and she is really upset and sad that BGE (baby girl elliott) is gone and she really wants her back. That really stung my heart because I want to keep her and they very well could get her back.
I just prayed while talking to her that I would think of her and not myself and try to console her that we were taking good care of her. (she doesn't know that we want to adopt her ). Matt and I know some of her story but we don't know what happened to make them take her out of the home. It has something to do with the birthmom.
They go to court on Tuesday to set up a plan for the whole situation. It could mean they set up visitation for the family, it could mean they tell them what they have to do to get her back. It could mean that they say she stays will us for a short time, long time....we don't know. There is always a possibility that she will be ours forever, which of course that is what we want. I know it sounds confusing but even we don't know what is going to happen. We have just been focusing on loving her and praying that God's will be done. ( The court did put her in fost-adopt and not just foster care so they saw a possibility of her being taken out of the home for good and adopted.)
Ivy has had a couple of jealous moments but she has done great with her. Matt and I have been loving every minute with her. I have had big highs and lows. I am working on not letting my mind go to the "what if's" . My friend, Erika called me at just the right time and encouraged me to think on the simple...not make it so complicated. The simple is that God wants her in my home today. She wants me to be her mom today. That is what I am grasping onto.
Here are some quotes from Jerry Bridges book, "Respectable Sins" that I have been thinking about.
"Whatever your circumstances, and however difficult they may be, the truth is that they are ordained by God for you as part of His overall plan for your life. God does nothing, or allows nothing, without a purpose. And His purpose, however mysterious and inscrutable they may be to us, are always for His glory and our ultimate good."
" We can resign ourselves to circumstances we know will never change but still harbor in our hearts a smoldering dicontentment......it is neither in resignation nor submission but only in acceptance that we find peace."
Please continue to pray and when I hear what happens On Tuesday, I will let you know.

9 comments:

Happy Hollie said...

How true Kel! I am praying for you.
love you.

Cherie Baker Vann said...

kelli, I know we only know each other through Jenny, but I am so excited for you!! I konw God will work all of it out perfectly!

Anonymous said...

You have such a great attitude and I know it must be really hard, but it sounds like the Lord is already teaching you a lot through this! Praying for the Lord's perfect will for your sweet family!

Unknown said...

so awesome! wow...it's amazing how fast your life can change...and how quickly you can love a total stranger!
much grace & peace

cathy said...

This is a great opportunity For the Gospel to be planted into Ivy's heart and your newbie!!
I hope to get a chance to meet her!

The Hayes Family said...

Kelli, I am praying for you and your darling family. I can't wait to see how the Lord works out this situation!

Swimwife said...

Kelli, we are also praying for you. I love you and I love your heart for the Lord. You are such an encouragment to me! I love you friend.

Laura said...

How exciting! (And a little scary). How encouraging to see your trust in the Lord =). Another fost-adopt friend reminded me that none of us are sure how long God will allow us to parent any child - bio, adopted, or foster - and the possiblity of having to give them back just makes you want to treasure each moment even more. I hope that you get to enjoy her for a long time to come!

Abouttime said...

Dear Kelli... I guess, for an adoptive mom, all the stretch marks are on the inside...

We love you and wish we could also get our hands on that little one.

With our love and prayers, Tim